BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mixed Messages

One of the worst parts of being a Mormon is that God doesn't feel the need to tell you everything. In the Doctrine and Covenants it says as much. I don't mean as far as reveling how everything works, but more along the lines of how you should live you life right down to the letter. Often times you just have to play it by ear and make your best judgement. Sometimes you find out later that it wasn't the best decision, sometimes it's just a learning experience, sometimes I thing it makes no difference whatsoever.

The big problem is that while God knows when to keep his mouth shut, others don't. There is an innumerable amount of members that have no problem pitching in their two-cents whether or not you are asking for it. The problem that I see more than anywhere else is at the University.

Okay, okay I know these profs are our teachers and they do deserve an amount of respect and they are supposedly the intellectual elite. The problem is when they don't seem to be all on the same page as far as the suggestions they are giving out about life lessons. Just the other day I had one prof say as much as you shouldn't have kids until you finish your schooling while I had another one say that kids are the most important thing you will ever do.

Now, I really don't have room to talk about giving advice. I try not to hand it out on this blog, or in general, but often times I don't remember the stuff I spew out. Usually I just try to share my thoughts and experiences with those that ask for it or come to this blog.

I just don't think that as teachers and profs your should expound on anything outside the class. Feels like an abuse of authority because most of these guys that I go to school with are still trying to figure out what they are going to do in life and if it's one of those choices that you just have to figure out for yourself then teachers should butt out, or at least state that it is a matter of opinion.

1 comments:

Audrey said...

I hope that you don't mind my opinions on your blog posts :)

This one made me think of a quote by Joseph Smith, his answer when asked about how he governed his people (the church members) in Nauvoo.

He said: “I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves”

I think that if you know the correct principles and pray for answers you will make correct choices and it is not up to anyone else to tell you what those choices should be. If someone with stewardship over you tells you something about the way you should do something, you have every right to take it to the Lord yourself for confirmation. A little story to illustrate that point:

When we lived in Texas my husband worked at a call center and after 6 months there they changed his work schedule from always having Sunday's off to working every Sunday. We prayed about it and received inspiration that he should quit the job or we wouldn't find something better (we didn't have another job lined up). A couple of months later we realized that we were supposed to move back to Utah, even though it required selling most of our belongings to be able to afford to do so, and we didn't have a home lined up for when we got here. During that couple of months, between quitting and realizing that we should move, we needed a little bit of help from the church with our rent and the Bishop admonished us that we should have never quit one job without having another one waiting, but we KNEW that we had done the right thing by quitting. The Bishop had stewardship over us as members of his ward, but we still had the right to disagree with his council when we knew that it was what the Lord wanted us to do.