BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lets end this year by killing something.


Well... Hm... This post isn't one that I've really been looking forward to writing but I should write it anyway at least for my own benefit. My dog died on Sunday, he was ran over by a car that didn't even bother to stop or brake just outside our house. We found his broken body a few minutes after it happened.
My wife absolutely loves dogs, I figure the reason for this is because though out her life she has always had a dog. Her mom dropped her off at her grandparents house when she was really young and she was practically raised by her grandparents and her 13 aunts and uncles, but her childhood was not exactly happy. Most of her aunts didn't want her there and were very mean to her. One was so mean that to this day you can see the scars on my wife's hands. Nevertheless there was always a dog at her house, and she loved it. Her only memory of her biological father was when he came to visit her and he brought a dog with him, she never saw him because her mother rushed her out of the room while her mother shooed him away, but my wife remembers clearly playing with the dog under a bed. In fact some of my wife's most happy memories of her childhood has something to do with dogs. So the death of our current dog was devastating to her, and the worst part is that we can't get another for a while.
So although I did love that dog, it hurts me more seeing my wife hurting. I've never seen anyone get so attached to an animal like her she did and as I've stated above I think she has some good reasons for getting so attached.

On top of my wife's pain I took it upon myself to try and explain to my daughter that her dog wasn't coming back. My question is how far do you go to get the message across before you start to be just a jerk about it? I explained to her that the reason we don't let her go out in the road is because she might get hit by a car. Then I told her that her dog went into the road and isn't coming back, and that he's now with Jesus. She cried with us for a while and I felt that she understood but I think she thinks he's lost. I tell her that he's not going to come back and that Jesus is in heaven and so is her dog. She still can't get past the idea that he's lost. I thought about showing her the body, but I really began to think that I was crossing a line at that point. My wife and I decided that there really isn't any point in pushing it. Death isn't something we believe that there is any hurry to learn about, she has her whole life to learn about it.

Farewell my little furball, you'll be missed.

0 comments: