BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 5, 2009

Even YOU can be a sexual predator!

When I first got home from my mission my first calling was primary teacher of the 5-6 year-olds. I don't think I did a great job, but I think the kids had a good time and they didn't seem to hate me. Then again how could they hate someone that would bring candy almost every week. Well once again I'm in the primary with my wife. Last Sunday my wife didn't get much sleep. My son is trying to get potty trained, the bad part is that he is waking up in the middle of the night to let us know that he needs to go to the bathroom. When I'm working my wife gets to suffer through it.

I volunteered to take the kids to church while my wife stayed home to get some much needed rest. When I sat down with the kids in Sharing Time the primary presidency about had a heart attack when I told them that my wife wouldn't be coming. They scattered and found another brother to help me out in the class. I told them that they didn't have to and that I've done it before and that it wouldn't be a big deal. They insisted and I didn't care all that much. When I got home and told my wife about what happened she explained to me that it's a rule that they can't leave a male teacher alone with the kids. (Now, I think it's worth explaining here that my wife has a natural distrust toward men in general. It took me forever to gain enough trust with her just to have the relationship that I currently enjoy with her but she still distrusts pretty much all men and every little once and a while I still get thrown in with the rest. Would you believe that my wife had the hardest time getting used to the idea of leaving our daughter with me alone?) I responded that I've never done anything that would warrant this kind of distrust. She stated plainly that she completely agreed with the rule. I understood her position and dropped it.

I find it odd and disheartening that as a man I'm suddenly a potential sexual predator. Why should every man be treated as if none of them can be trusted with children? Well I guess that it's not entirely because they think we could be sexual predators but to protect us from some kid or parents that want to sue the church saying that we abused their children. At least that's what they told us in scout master training.

It's sad really. Welcome to the world!

0 comments: