BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The cost of saving a dollar

So as I continue my sometimes foolish quest to get more education I am doing whatever possible so that I don't spend a penny more than I have to. Beyond the costs of tuition there are all sorts of costs that the University tells you you need to spend at there are all sorts of these spendatures that you really can avoid.

  • Parking Permits: I've always hated these things because the chance of actually getting a decent parking space is so remote that I imagine the day that I actually find a good spot will be the very same day that a meteor hits the planet. Here are a couple of my tricks in order to avoid this delightful fee.
    • Park off-campus and hoof it. This is tricky but it can be done, if you have someone that lives close by and you can park in front of their house would be the preferred method.
    • Ride Your Bike . Although I still had to pay a buck to have my bike licenced with the city it still beats the unbelievable fee to park. One advisement, bike+snow=sprained ankle. Not a good idea, but overall a good idea.
    • Bum a ride. For me I know people that are usually in the area of the University so I can usually find someone that can either drop me off or pick me up. Although I usually like a backup plan so I am always prepared to walk.
    • Take the bus. Ahh the beauty of public transportation. This always takes lots of planning and no matter what you do the universe will always make sure that any and all bus stop times are going to slightly interfere with your overall plans, so always plan to leave way early or get there way late. Once upon a time I heard that students could get a free bus pass, but the university is telling me that I have to pay for one, I am looking into this and hopefully it goes well. It would certainly help me on the days when bikes and snow don't mix.
    • Walk. Think of all the exercises
  • Books
    • The internet, okay, this is really the only solution to this problem as I can get. Bookstores are out of the question. They will always charge you more and give you less. Buy all your books online, sell them back the same way. It's the only possible way we are going to get the price of books to drop.
For some reason when I started this little entry I thought I had a lot more to say, I probably do but since I am at the University my mind must be blocked or something. Anyway, there you go.

And as a side note my ankle is doing fine, if you define fine as it hurts like it's ready to walk off on it's own because I haven't really changed my patterns other then I'm not riding my bike, but I'm still doing a lot of walking. I did go to the doctor's office and he gave me an aircast that stretches my shoe out taking a least a couple of months off of it's life span. So I just want to thank my local municipality for not plowing the roads either during this snowstorm or the last one, because had they actually plowed the road I wouldn't be hobbling around like a gimp.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After all this, there is only one thing to say: Have reverence for God, and obey his commands, because this is all that we were created for. ECCLESIASTES 12:13 TEV

Unknown said...

I noticed my town was lousy with the snow removal too. Sorry you have the bum ankle. That really stinks. Hope it feels better soon.

I just wanted to drop and invite you to check out a new social network I created called Neighborhood and Friends. It's a great place for people to socialize who prefer a clean, safe, environment to keep current with family and friends, as well as to gain new friends. I hope you'll check it out and find me if you do! Thanks. No pressure, just issuing the invitation.

Shop Steward said...

I don't have any good advice like the other fantastic comments you already got like obey God's commandments & the solicited, get more 'friends' website.

My advice is more complicated: Work 2-3 hours of overtime and pay the parking permit.

Besides, you could have paid for the parking permit with the money you would have saved in your medical bills (sprained ankle).