BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 31, 2008

Watching TV on a budget

As I've stated before my family and I have been doing everything we can to reduce spending in our household and save. The reducing spending part has been going really well, while on the other hand the part about saving still seems to allude us. I'm not quite sure how that works, I've looked over the numbers more times than I care to count and I've even had my nifty pirated (well, it's not quite pirated, just really out of date and my brother gave it to me) make all sorts of graphs in order to try and figure out how we are cutting our bills but still don't seem to have any money available to save. I think it is one of those little things that people like Alan Greenspan couldn't even figure out.

Anyway, we quit the cable/satellite companies a long time ago. I don't care what people say in church but it took some getting used to for me and overall I still miss the options and the movies. Nevertheless, not to be a man that doesn't do his best to get his way, I've swaryed into a realm that allows me to enjoy a little TV without having to pay for it, legally.

The Internet: NBC, FOX, ABC are the big guys for the shows I watch, and all of them have their big shows online. The quality isn't as good, and you need a high speed connection (We're trying to be cheap, but I've stood firm on having a high-speed connection) but you only get one 30sec commercial every 10 minutes or more. I'm still able to watch my favorite shows without the hassle of getting my rabbit ears calibrated, my VCR set (I still can't believe I still own one of these things) and not letting any of the kids touch the TV until after the recording. Some cable stations put their shows online but since I'm not as up-to-date on what is on the cable channels I don't go looking for them. Except The Middleman.

PBS: Say what you want about PBS but since it's the channel that comes in the clearest on my TV it's what I watch most of the time. Most of the day their programming is children's programming and it's educational. Most of these shows are mildly entertaining but since I took a stroll around Saturday morning brainwashing I've come to the conclusion that PBS kid's programming is superior. I can't even begin to tell you the loss of intelligence I suffered after watching five minutes of Yu-Gi-Ho, "I do this and now I will win," "Oh, now I will place this card that does -long boring explanation- now you will die" "-inner monologue- Oh, how can I out do that card with just -piece of crap-" Never before have I wanted a group of cannibals to come storming into my house more than at that moment. Anyway don't disregard PBS, especially when you have few other options.

I will go over some of my favorite shows another day.

0 comments: