BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Canning


Every year since I can remember my family canned.  I always wondered why we called it canning when there were not cans involved.  It's more like bottle-ing.  The main event was and is always the tomatoes.  


As a rule I don't like tomatoes.  My family has always grown them in the garden and almost everyone in the family loves them but I don't, although I love everything that comes from tomatoes.  I love tomato soup, ketchup, tomato paste and tomato sauce, but I don't like tomatoes.

Anyway the big draw for the canning season is the tomato sauce that my Mom makes and every years since kids have been moving out of the house my Mom makes an effort to go around to every one's home and can what we all hope will be the yearly supply of tomato sauce.  This tomato sauce is a family recipe that my Mom keeps close to her heart and she doesn't share it with anyone.  Without this tomato sauce spaghetti just isn't spaghetti.  Meat loaf ceases to be meat loaf.  Our family with rather fast then face a meal that called for tomato sauce and didn't have this sauce in it.  Sometimes when my Mom would run low on the stuff she would add half store bought and half of the real stuff.  Even then it was bearly tolerable.

So Happy Canning!

0 comments: