BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dr. Me and Mr. Sin

Isn't it horrible that as you get older you finally realize all the really good stuff is also really old? Take classic movies for example, the other night as a family we watched I was a Male War Bride with Cary Grant and just the week before we saw An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant. What incredible films! No bad language, no crass humor and the most respectful references to sex (You won't even know it's there unless you are looking for it, and even then it might not be there). I hate to think that there are people out there that have never seen these movies and my not realize that movies can be made this way.



Now let's take classic books. I read Sherlock Homes: The Hound of the Baskervilles and was surprised at how delightful Sherlock was for the first time in my life. I read Animal Farm by George Orwell and I was blown away by his understanding of communism and the USSR. Then I read Crime and Punishment and was extremely impressed by the understanding of the author of the mindset of a man who is doing everything to move on with his life despite the fact that he knows that he will soon be caught for his crimes. The most recent book that I've read that really made and impression on me was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I will admit, although not surprisingly, that at a point in time in my life I had allowed sin to take a starring role in my life. Since that time I have looked back and marvelled at the way that sin worked itself into my life only to one day take it over. When I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde it represented my plight with sin almost perfectly. I want to explain all the details but I really would like everyone that can read the opportunity to read it. To some it will seem obvious but for people like myself it may just end up being a revelation of sorts.

0 comments: