BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Guilty as dreamt

I had a dream during my mission that caused me a lot of grief. It really racked my soul and I spent a lot of time trying to understand why I had this kind of dream. I cringe at the idea of writing what kind of dream it was but allow me to say that for a 20-year-old healthy male it shouldn't be a surprise. Yes, go ahead allow your minds to tip a toe into the gutter for a second just so you know what I am talking about. Got it, good.


Anyway, I was fraught with confusion on whether or not I had committed any kind of sin. I worked all day everyday with diligence in my perception and I never taught young women without the appropriate member present and in fact those lustful kind of thoughts never entered my mind during the day. So why did those ideas enter my head at night?

I had a long talk with my Mission President and he assured me that those kinds of dreams are normal for a boy my age and that as long as I was diligent not to occupy my mind with those kinds of thoughts then I would be just fine. I felt the calming presence of the spirit with these words so I knew that when it came to dreams I wouldn't be held accountable. (as long as I didn't concentrate on the content of said dreams)


Fast forward to a time when I'm happily married with two kids. From time to time my wife wakes up very upset with me. Often she will go several hours angry as she can possibly be and in her own passive aggressive way, punish me. I will spend all my mental abilities trying to understand what I did so I could hurry and apologize for it or at least know what to put on the 'I'm Sorry' card when I bring her flowers. Once I can pin my wife down I will find out that I did something in her dream that really upset her. Just the other day I guess I was really flirting with this young woman and I had made her a pair of pants and I was going over to her house to deliver them while my wife stayed home with the kids. She knows that I didn't really do those things but she says she can't help looking at me and remembering the horrible things I did in her dreams.

I guess sometimes I'll be held accountable for what I do in dreams. For the most part my wife will now openly accuse me so I can start apologizing from the time she wakes up in the morning.

2 comments:

Juliana said...

I'm sure this isn't funny to you, but it cracks me up that your wife actually gets angry about what you did in HER dreams! I mean, sure I can see getting angry at what you dream about because there's just that slightest chance that your dreams reflect some hidden desires or fears... etc. etc. But to be upset about HER dreams? :) That's funny!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I love meeting the people who have visited my little corner of cyberspace.

Juliana said...

This is funny! I can imagine your wife being upset about what YOU dream about because that might reflect some of your inner fears or desires, but isn't she responsible for her dreams? Funny!

I can be really irrational about my dreams too, though, thinking they may be some vision of the future or something. I had a romantic dream about Michael Phelps and then I loved watching the Olympics even more because I had this strange, nighttime dream about him. Ha!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I love meeting people who have frequented my little corner of cyberspace!