BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, August 22, 2008

Problems with bieng bilingual

Most people like to congratulate my wife and I on the fact that we are doing our best to make sure our kids learn English (my native tongue) and Spanish (My wife's native tongue). In fact Spanish is all we speak at home. The problem that my wife and I are having is the constant struggle with our kids' vocabulary. As you can imagine our kids are surrounded by English, the TV, most friends, stores, school and my half of the extended family. Spanish has been grounded to Sunday meetings, some DVD's with the Spanish language track and the home. I will often have to teach my soon-to-be five-year-old daughter the translation of some word in English because if she doesn't know the Spanish equivalent then she will just use the English one. For example, "papa, pajaros tienen wings, no perros" Translation: Dad, birds have wings, not dogs.

I heard some time ago that Socrates said that a man that speaks two languages speaks with two souls. I've tried to verify this quote but to no avail. Nevertheless I like it so I quote it. The problem is that I think that there is an English side of my daughter that I don't know. I don't speak to her in English unless I have to but the other day my mother took my daughter out to go buy a birthday present and the little girl that my Mom described to me didn't sound like the daughter I know.

My Mom congratulated me on the way I was raising my daughter the day after she took her out. I asked why? And my Mom told me that when she took my daughter to Wendy's for lunch she asked her if she wanted apple sauce or french fries, and my daughter asked for apple sauce! Never in her entire life has my daughter ever asked for apple sauce, especially in the face of french fries. My mother also told me how my little girl started to tell her some knock, knock jokes. At this time I cannot express to you my surprise because my daughter has never told me a joke despite all the ones I tell her. I asked my Mom if she had picked up the right little girl.

Suddenly I've discovered that there is a whole other half of my daughter that I never knew. Obviously that Spanish side likes french fries and doesn't tell jokes while the English side eats apple sauce and is a stand-up comedian.

0 comments: