BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Preschool and Kindergarden

My little girl has been going to preschool since she was about a year-and-a-half. You might be thinking 'how does a postal worker pay to have his year-and-a-half old daughter go to a preschool?' Well, welcome to the world of little known government programs and living in a bilingual household. For some reason the public school system hasn't figured out that a child can grow up in a bilingual household and learn to speak both languages just fine. They still seem to think that bilingual children need special help in their language development skills, and as I am not one to turn down cheap additional education for my kids I accepted. I feel sometimes that I should let them in on the joke that kids are quick learners but I'd hate to spoil the surprise.

So my little girl started kindergarten this week and for the very first time she cried when she went to school. After classes she told us that she cried because there were too many kids, 29 to be exact, and the teacher only gets one assistant. My goodness, I knew teachers were underpaid, but this seems to border on the ridiculous. My job isn't easy but I don't have 29 eager smiling faces looking to me to explain the work around them everyday of the week. Heck, I think that babysitters make more money when you break down the kid to guardian ratio. I hate to think that most if not all of these kids have only had home schooling up until now. At least I worry if their parents teach like me, because I have to idea how to teach. I usually just try to explain what I'd doing (or trying to do) and hope that some of it sinks in to my kids. My wife is usually the one that sits down and goes over the basic skills like that. Man, I love that woman.

0 comments: